Today I close out another year of blessings, laughter, tears, life lessons, and memories…cus’ it’s my birthday!
Its funny how I didn’t really feel a year older, until I looked back on what I’ve accomplished and overcame in the past year! Lets see:
- I graduated from The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill- Go Heels!
- Two months later I am working on a masters degree at Wake Forest University
- I started the internship of my dreams as a content creator
- I said goodbye to the best grandfather in the world- R.I.P. Pappap
- I said goodbye to one of my favorite cousins- R.I.P Kulisha
- I got turned down for multiple job opportunities
- I went on my first cruise to the Bahamas
- I signed a lease for my first apartment
And the list goes on!
Whether good or bad, everyday of my experience at 21 has shaped me into a more callused, more resilient version of myself! There are things I can say I’ve learned from my 21 year old self and things that I look forward to at 22.
Some things I’ve learned from my 21 year old self…
- Uncertainty shouldn’t be a bad thing…as a matter of fact, it should be exciting! The possibilities are endless during times when you may not have every detail of your future laid out. Embrace it! I have found that in most times when uncertainty is present, there is an open door for me to create opportunity for myself that I won’t have otherwise pursued.
- I am in charge of my own happiness…it is a losing game to base your happiness on the actions and feelings of others around you; and for them to base their happiness around yours. I’ve learned the importance of finding joy within my own life as an individual. Being around the ones I love generate an aura of fulfillment, yes…but it is important for me to feel fulfilled on my own as well. When you find happiness within yourself, you have the ability to offer much more to those who you love.
- God’s timing is not my timing…gahh! This has been a tough one for me…but I have learned (and am still learning) that it is cool to make plans and be excited about the future, but never forget that God’s timing surpasses anything you may have rolled up your sleeve. This can cause confusion, frustration, dismay, and even anger; all of which I have felt by dismissing the fact that everything has its season. For some things in my life for which I have sowed strong seeds, its blossom has yet to come…and I’m learning how to be okay with that 🙂
- I’m only 21!…(well 22 now, but you get the point). I have a ton of life ahead of me (Lord’s willing), a ton of things I’m eager to experience, and journeys I’m excited to embark on!
With that said, here are a few things I am looking forward to at 22!
- Getting my Masters in Management degree
- Starting a job that I LOVE
- Becoming a finance guru
- Learning how to play Godiva (my guitar)
- Reading the long list of amazing books I’ve been recommended
- Embracing unapologetic self expression
- Going on random trips, just because